I was walking through the mall the other day and I asked my friend “Who do you think is going to win the Republican primary?” She repsonded by saying that she disliked politics and couldn’t wait for the whole election to be over so that she didn’t have to hear about it on the news or see the Facebook wars over which candidate was better. Hmmm, I thought- a similar sentiment for many Americans who decline to get involved in any level of political turmoil.
Almost immediately I asked her if she had seen the article about Donald Trump refusing to eat Oreos now that Mondalez, the company that manufactures them, has moved the main manufacturing facility to Mexico. This decision was apparently made after executives learned it would be $46 million cheaper to move the plant to Mexico instead of leaving the production in Chicago where it currently resides. Donald Trump actually loves Oreos by the way, so not eating them was a huge decision for him.
Hmmm, I thought again. What better way to start a politically charged argument than to make the most politically charged cupcake I could think of- a Donald Trump cupcake. And yes, I did decide to use Oreos for the eyes. And yes, it is ironic. Enjoy the irony and the deliciousness that is, the Donald Trump cupcake. Delicious cupcake recipe courtesy of The Cake Bible. Delicious orange Trump hair and big eyes courtesy of Donald Trump- my favorite Republican candidate that we love to be astounded by (and yet secretly delight in all of the half truths he proclaims about America). Your welcome Republican party for this extra publicity.
(Donald) Trump Your Cupcake!!!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 10.5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- oreo halves
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl and mix for 15 seconds.
- Add cream to dry ingredients and then add butter and beat for 2 minutes to aerate, scraping down sides occasionally. Add vanilla paste.
- Add egg yolks one at a time beating and scraping down between additions
- Fill a piping bag with the batter.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners. Pipe the batter evenly into the tin to fill all the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- While cooling mix butter and icing sugar in a mixing bowl at high speed to make icing.
- Take out about 1/4 cup icing and mix in food coloring.
- Fill piping bag with mahogany colored icing.
- Cut off top of cooled cupcake. Spread icing on one edge of cupcake and then get two oreo halves (used for eyes) to prop up the lid of the cupcake. Wedge the other side of the lid into the cupcake so that it sticks.
- Pipe the orange icing on top of the cupcake for that signature “Trump” look.
- Voila, you have “trumped” your cupcake.